A Marvelous Moxie Marriage: Team Bridal Gets Pretty

In my last recap post, I only hinted at what I’m just going to come right out and admit.

I was totally sleep deprived and jet lagged the whole week of our wedding.

Let’s review: Bob the Builder and I arrived in Philly on Tuesday evening. On Wednesday, we hit the ground running at 8am to get our marriage license, and because we were drinking and dining with friends, didn’t get to bed until about 3am. I was literally falling asleep at the table. On Thursday, I was out the door at 9am and finally managed to fall asleep at 1am. Then I woke up at 5:30 am Friday morning and stayed awake. Friday night didn’t end until 2am, as you know, because the power went out.

And now, here we were at The Big Day. Our Wedding Day.

I should mention here that I am, and I always have been, a major fan of sleep. I am not a morning person, to put it mildly. My minimum is eight hours of sleep a night. I almost always manage to get more like nine hours.


I was scheduled to begin getting pretty at 8am. What time did I get up?

When I heard a knock on the door to our hotel suite and realized that I had slept through my alarm! Actually, Bob the Builder heard the knock. I had earplugs in and didn’t hear anything. He nudged me awake and said, “Your hair girl is here.”


I jumped out of bed, asked Bob the Builder to open the door for her, and I jumped in the shower with a speed I did not know I possessed.

Yikes! This is not the way I wanted to start my wedding day!

Fifteen minutes later, I was getting my hair put up in rollers while Bob the Builder went out to get bagels and coffee for everyone. Thank God for Alison from Mack Stylists. She was so sweet and didn’t make me feel badly for keeping her waiting. And she’s a super talented stylist to boot!

About an hour later, Team Bridal arrived to get the party started. I was still mostly asleep, despite the fact that I was seated upright and getting my hair wrapped up in massive curlers. Bob the Builder had arrived with the breakfast spread for everyone, and Mr. SmartyPants even brought us a bottle of champagne! Woo Hoo!

Photo by Redfield Photography

We had a lovely time chatting and enjoying our breakfast. I never have coffee, but I was so exhausted, I had a cup, hoping it would wake me up. And then I had two more. Whatever. It’s my wedding day!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

When our makeup artist, Kelly from Face the Occasion arrived, I begged her to spend extra time on the bags under my eyes. Thankfully, she did. You can hardly tell I only got 5 hours of sleep the night before my wedding. God Bless Kelly and her mad skills! P.S – Always schedule the most time for your makeup, brideys. Just in case!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

At some point that morning, three things happened.

1. Crafty Pants and The Professor decided the train of my gown needed to be ironed, and devised this master plan.

from Instagram

from Instagram

Yes, they are holding an ironing board up to my gown. Because the gown was too big to go to the ironing board.

2. Smarty Pants left the suite to go get her daughter (& flower girl), LuLuB. LuLu is 2 1/2 and my favorite. She gave me this drawing, which is the sweetest ever.

Photo by Redfield Photography

Somehow, Smarty Pants isn’t in any of the getting ready photos, which is a serious bummer. I think she left right as the photographers arrived? Thats the only logical answer.


3. I had about three cups of coffee, beginning at 9am. I almost never drink coffee – well, caffeinated coffee, that is. So, by about 11am, I was bouncing off the walls. And I started to feel anxious. CraftyPants, because she is an A+ maid of honor, had packed these in her bag:

Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 9.34.29 PM

“It’s all natural!”, she said. “Just take one, it will make you feel better!”, she said.

And she was right.

I felt so good, I had two more.

And, you guys, they REALLY worked. I was kind of in a fog for the next hour or so. It was nice to be so calm, but, really? I forgot to do some essential things. Like, pack my bag for the venue. Which, if you’ve been following along, I also had on my To Do List for Thursday and Friday nights. At 11am on the morning of my wedding, this very important task was still not done.

At some point, the gals got dressed, and did all the spraying and primping and what not.

Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 9.40.07 PMScreen Shot 2014-01-09 at 9.40.19 PM

And then, all of a sudden, it was time for The Gown.

How did the morning fly by? Where did the time go?

Up Next: We talk about The Dress, and all is revealed!

P.S – If you’re interested in the Nelson Bach Rescue Pastilles, you can buy them here.

They seriously work! Just don’t take three of them at once. :-)

*This post contains affiliate links.*

Unless otherwise noted, all photos by the amazing Redfield Photography.

Robes by SilkAndMore on Etsy. Bridesmaid dresses by Alfred Sung for Dessy.

Anyone else have All the Nerves on their wedding morning?


2 Comments on A Marvelous Moxie Marriage: Team Bridal Gets Pretty

  1. 50Peach (@50peach)
    January 11, 2014 at 9:34 pm (2 years ago)

    It is so cool, reading your day’s recaps! :) Can’t wait to read/see more. ps – Your makeup is stunning and you look gorgeous already! Sleep or no sleep.

    • [email protected]
      January 11, 2014 at 9:44 pm (2 years ago)

      Thanks, Peach! It was a wedding day miracle! LOL


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment *

CommentLuv badge